The LEAP program is a customized program of study that assists in preparing students with intellectual and developmental disabilities for employment. Individuals who desire to complete a college education program, and who are willing to commit to career preparation are strongly encouraged to apply. Students are accepted for admission each semester. Credit courses follow fall, spring, and summer semester schedules.
The goal of the application screening process is to identify ideal candidates for the LEAP program. Through the screening process, practical information is gained to determine a candidate’s potential for success. Applicants should demonstrate the following minimal requirements:
- Minimum third grade reading level preferred.
- Possess basic mathematics skills and the ability to use a calculator.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain appropriate social and emotional behavior.
- Ability to meet personal needs without assistance.
- Must be able to navigate the campus independently and safely.
- Desire and motivation to complete a postsecondary program.
- Commitment to complete all assignments with support.
- Ability to be successful in competitive employment situations.
- Served under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Active placement in a Vocational Rehabilitation program is required.
Applicants considering applying to the LEAP program should have received special education services on the secondary level, graduated with a special education diploma, certificate of alternative diploma, or been awarded a diploma through House Bill 91. Individuals who meet all eligibility criteria should submit an application.
Application Process Steps
- Complete the LEAP application package and submit all required documents.
- All applications will be screened to verify eligibility.
- The college entrance exam will be administered. Scores will be waived.
- Eligible applicants will be contacted for a student and family interview.
- Candidates accepted into the LEAP program must complete an application to enroll in Albany Technical College. A non-refundable $25 application fee is required.
- Applicants must apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA application.
Eligible students will be selected based upon the review of the application information, interview results, and recommendations. Selection and admission to the LEAP program will also include the following criteria.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a documented intellectual or developmental disability that interferes with academic performance.
- Should be able to participate in a 50 minute course and function independently for 2 hour blocks of time.
- Must demonstrate the ability to accept and follow reasonable rules and behave respectfully towards others.
- Must have sufficient emotional and independent stability to participate in all aspects of the LEAP program, including coursework and campus environment.
- Must demonstrate the desire to attend the LEAP program and adhere to the Albany Technical College polices regarding, attendance, coursework participation, and code of conduct.
- Must have the ability to be successful in competitive employment situations.
If you are ready to take the LEAP, download the application packet. Print and return the completed application packet along with all documents to our office:
Albany Technical College
1704 S. Slappey Blvd
Albany, GA 31701