About Operations Management
The purpose of Operations Management Degree is to plan, direct, or coordinate the operations of public or private sector organizations. Duties and responsibilities include formulating policies, managing daily operations, and planning the use of materials and human resources, but are too diverse and general in nature to be classified in any one functional area of management or administration, such as personnel, purchasing, or administrative services. Some of the task involved:
- Oversee activities directly related to making products or providing services.
- Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement.
- Manage staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific duties.
- Direct and coordinate organization's financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with board members, organization officials, and staff members as necessary.
- Determine staffing requirements, and interview, hire and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes.
- Plan and direct activities such as sales promotions, coordinating with other department heads as required.
- Determine goods and services to be sold, and set prices and credit terms, based on forecasts of customer demand.
- Locate, select, and procure merchandise for resale, representing management in purchase negotiations.
Degrees and Diplomas
- << Prev